Thursday, March 4, 2010

Warning: Faithfulness Hazard Ahead

Faithfulness Hazard

Scripture: Ruth

(Nick is sitting in a chair playing a video game.)

Nick: I am so awesome! Take that, villainous scum from the planet Zotox. You will never destroy another digital space ship of mine again. Ha ha!

(Susanna enters stage right with a library book and sets it down next to Nick.)

Susanna: Hey, Nick. Don’t forget you promised to take my library book back before they open. I don’t want to get a fine because it’s late.

Nick: (Not paying any attention to her as he plays his video game.) Yeah, sure. I’ll do it in a minute.

Susanna: Okay. Thanks! (Exit stage left)

Nick: One billion points. I am the master of the universe!

Justin: (Enters stage left and pauses to give Nick a reminder.) Hey, Nick, don’t forget the big game today. It’s the finals and you’ve got to be on time. (Keeps walking and exits stage right.)

Nick: (Absent mindedly) Right. I’ll be there.

Ariana: (Enters stage right) Hi, Nick. Susanna told me to remind you not to forget that you’re supposed to drop off those cookies she made for the TRU bake sale. You only have about ten minutes to get there before they close up the table.

Nick: (Absent mindedly playing game.) I won’t forget.

Ariana: Okay. (Exits stage left.)

(After a moment of video game play, Nick stands up and stretches.)

Nick: Wow! I’ve been playing this video game for so long that I’m hungry. (Pauses and looks thoughtful for a minute) You know, it seems like there was something that I was supposed to do today, but I can’t remember what it was. Oh well. It probably wasn’t anything important. (Exits stage right.)

(Teacher takes a moment to talk to the kids about being faithful, and how Ruth was faithful to Naomi.)

Teacher: Boys and girls, do you think it’s kind of important to be faithful? (Yes) I wonder what’s going to happen to Nick when everyone finds our that he didn’t do any of the things he said he would do.

(Hear scuffling and shouts from behind stage. Nick comes out one end of stage, pursued by all the people who he told he would do things for. They’re trying to get him as he escapes through the back of the room.)

Teacher: I think I’m going to choose to be faithful. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment