Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Importance of Self-Control

Where’s Elroy?

Matthew 4:1–11

Susan comes into class and sees a plate of cookies sitting on a table.

Susan: I wonder where Susanna is. She told me to meet her here so we could go bike riding. (Bumps into the table with the cookies.) What’s this? (Sees the cookies) These look like Susanna’s famous Super Duper Kitchen Sink Oatmeal Cookies. I love her cookies. She probably made them for us to share before we go bike riding. I hope she comes quickly. I can’t wait to eat one.

(Tries to wait patiently.) I’d really like a cookie right now. (Takes a whiff of the cookies) They smell so good! Maybe if I just ate one, she wouldn’t care. (Stops herself.) No, I need to use my self-control and make myself do the right thing and wait. (Begins to pace back and forth) But if Susanna made them to share anyway, it shouldn’t matter if I eat one now, right? It would just be a waste of my self-control to not eat one of these wonderful cookies. It would only be one. (Inner struggle.) I can’t stand it anymore. I’m going to eat one right now. (Grabs a cookie and gobbles it down.) Mmmm! Mmmm! They’re so good. I love it. It’s different from her usual recipe, though.

Nathan: (Enters looking around for someone.) Elroy! Elroy! Where are you? Elroy!

Susan: Who’s Elroy?

Nathan: The neighbor’s dog. I’m watching him for the day. He keeps hiding, and I have to call him to get him to come out. Elroy! Here boy!

Susan: Too bad he doesn’t like cookies. If you gave him one of these, I’ll bet he’d come out.

Nathan: Great idea. You know, I actually made these myself.

Susan: You? I thought they were Susanna’s Super Duper Kitchen Sink Oatmeal Cookies.

Nathan: Nope. The neighbors gave me the recipe for Elroy’s favorite homemade doggy biscuits. They’re great for dogs. (As Nathan keeps looking for Elroy, he describes what’s in the cookies, and Susan starts to pantomime gagging behind him) They have meat drippings, chicken bouillon, powdered dry milk, parsley, rice flour, oh, and activated charcoal plus a bunch of other stuff. (Turns around and sees Susan finally cover her mouth and rush out of the room.) What’s wrong with her? Oh well. (Takes plate of cookies and exits calling for Elroy.) Elroy! Here boy. I have your favorite treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment