Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Do You Feel Like Singin' the Blues?

Got the Blues

Luke 19:18–40 and Mark 11:1–11

Nick is sitting on a table strumming a guitar as he butchers the song he’s made up.

Nick: I got the blues, (strum) oh, yeah, the blues (strum). Dropped my cell phone in the toilet (strum) I’ll never see it again (strum) and the neighbor’s dog (strum) ate my Wii remote (strum). I’ve got the blues (strum) The everything went wrong today so I’m not very happy blues (strum) Yeah, yeah, the blues.

Susanna: (Walks on stage holding her ears) Ow! Ow! What’s that horrible sound?

Nick: I don’t know what you heard that sounded awful, but I’m beginning my musical career.

Susanna: What’s your song about?

Nick: Well, my cell phone fell in the toilet today, so I was pretty upset. Then I found out that Elroy, the neighbor’s dog, ate my Wii remote when he got into our house. Now I can’t play my favorite video games. I won’t even tell you what happened when that kid you babysat yesterday got into my lego models. That’s in the second verse. (Starts to strum) My legos are in 80 million pieces ...

Susanna: Please! Stop! It’s okay. I don’t want to hear it. Listen, you just need to know one thing. You weren’t created by God to sing the blues.

Nick: I wasn’t?

Susanna: No. You were created to sing praises to God. He made you to have a close relationship with Him, and it should be fun.

Nick: Are you sure?

Susanna: Yes. Think of all those places in the Bible where it tells us to praise God. (Thinks for a moment) Let all the peoples praise Him. The joy of the Lord is your strength. I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth. See? You were made to praise. When Jesus rode into Jerusalem, they tried to stop the people from praising God.

Nick: What did Jesus do?

Susanna: He told the leaders that the rocks would start praising God if He stopped the people from doing it.

Nick: I’m going to switch to singing praise. (Strums the guitar as Susanna leaves) Hey, where are you going.

Susanna: If you’re starting a musical career, I think I need some earplugs.

Nick: (Strums and sings off key as he follows Susanna out.) I’m done singin’ the blues.

Susanna: Ouch! Ouch! You’re hurting my ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment