Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Peace in a Jail?

Singin’ In the Jail

Acts 16:14–40

Susan on the Spot: This is Susan on the Spot with another late-breaking story. It’s almost midnight, and we’ve received word that someone is actually singing in the local jail. We’re here to cover the story. Let’s see if...

Bystander: Excuse me. Did you say, singing?

Susan OTS: Yes, we had a report that—

Bystander: (Interrupting) Wait. Are you a talent scout?

Susan OTS: Well n—

Bystander: (Enthusiastic) I can spot a talent scout a mile away. Let me just warm up a little over here and I’ll be ready to audition for you in a minute. (Smiling and waving as she moves stage right.)

Susan OTS: You do that. (Makes gesture by head to show the bystander is a little wacko.) Anyway, we’re here to see who could possibly have something to sing about in jail. (Approaches jailed Paul and Silas who are quietly worshiping stage left.)

Susan OTS: Excuse me, but are you singing?

Paul: Yes, we are.

Susan OTS: Why would you sing about being in jail? It’s dark and icky in here. (Jumps.) And did I just see a rat over there. Okay, nobody said there were going to be rats on this assignment.

Silas: Those jail rats are tame. They won’t hurt you.

Susan OTS: So why are you in here, anyway.

Paul: We were telling everyone how to believe in Jesus and be saved.

Silas: But this slave girl with a spirit of divination was following us everywhere pestering us. Finally Paul just cast that spirit out of her in the name of Jesus.

Susan OTS: Her masters were probably very happy that you did that for her.

Paul: Nope. They were mad, because she was doing fortunetelling for them, and now she wouldn’t anymore. So they had us thrown in jail.

Susan OTS: But why are you singing?

Silas: Because I can have peace inside even when things aren’t perfect on the outside.

Paul: And I’m going to praise God no matter what my circumstances are on the outside.

Susan OTS: Wow!

Paul & Silas start to sing Hallelujah. Suddenly, the ground shakes in an earthquake. Paul, Silas, Susan OTS and the Bystander start to lurch around.

Susan OTS: Hey, look! The doors are open and your chains have fallen off! You can go free!

Jailer: (Rushes in.) Oh, no! The doors are open. Now all the prisoners will have escaped and I’ll be in big trouble. I might as well die. (Pulls out his sword)

Paul: Wait! Don’t hurt yourself! We’re all here!

Jailer: (Falls down in front of Paul and Silas) What must I do to be saved?

Silas: You just have to believe in the Lord Jesus, and you and your household will be saved.

Jailer: Let me take you home with me. I want to hear more about Jesus. I want my family to be saved too.

(Paul, Silas, and Jailer exit.)

Susan OTS: That’s it for today, folks. Remember that even when things aren’t perfect around you, you can have peace if Jesus in your heart. He is more powerful than any trouble you could run into.

Bystander: Yoo hoo! I’m ready to audition. I’m going to sing Mary Had a Little Lamb. (Starts to sing in an off key while Susan OTS sneaks out with her ears covered. Suddenly the bystander looks around and realizes she’s alone.) Hey! Where did everybody go? (Exits.)

No comments:

Post a Comment