Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Nick does the right thing

A Time Such As This
Esther 1:1–10:3
Susanna: Nick! Nick! You’ve got to come quick!
Nick: (Playing video games) What’s the problem?
Susanna: Your friend, Nathan, is about to be creamed by the school bully, Muscles Malone, because Nathan wouldn’t give up his paper route money. You have to save him!
Nick: (Shrugs) I don’t really see what I could do to help.
Susanna: What do you mean, you don’t see what you could do to help? What is wrong with you! You could at least go out there and stand up to that bully with Nathan. Then maybe he’ll leave him alone.
Nick: Susanna, Muscles was shaving when he was in fifth grade. You don’t mess with guys like that. Usually I just pray that they move away and become someone else’s problem.
Susanna: We don’t have time for that. You’ve got to help Nathan right now!
Nick: But Muscles isn’t trying to pound me. If I go out there, I’ll just be sticking my nose in business I shouldn’t stick it in. Besides, I’d like to live longer than until I’m just 14.
Susanna: But Nathan is your friend. You should help him just because of that.
Nick: That’s true. He is my friend. (Thinking about it.) I’ll really miss him when he’s gone.
Susanna: (Shocked) That’s terrible! Nathan won’t be gone if you do something to help him.
Nick shrugs again and keeps playing his game.
Susanna: (Getting right in his face.) If you think that you can hide in here playing video games while your friend gets pounded and that it won’t matter, you’re wrong. Who do you think that bully is going to go after once Nathan is out of the way? Hmmm? Gee, who do I know who has a little lawn mowing business on our street that Muscles could exploit? Hmmm. Oh, I know. It's you.
Nick: Okay, okay. You made your point. If I don’t help Nathan and Muscles creams him, I'll probably be the next target. You’re right. I’ll go down and help my friend.
Susanna: I knew you’d see reason! Let’s get out there and show Muscles he can’t push anyone on our street around anymore.
Nick: (As they’re leaving) What kind of parents name their child Muscles, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment