Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Camp Sow-A-Lot Part 1

Seed Time Skit

(Counselor enters with three campers.)

Counselor Higgenbottom: (Taking a cleansing breath.) Ah! Here we are, campers. As your camp counselor, I’d like to welcome you to Camp Sow-A-Lot. (Pauses.) Welcome!

(Three nod their heads in acknowledgment.)

Counselor: You’ve probably wondering when the fun will begin, so I won’t keep you in suspense any more. The first thing we’ll do this week is to break up the big chunks of hard soil so the seeds can get through them. By preparing the soil, our seeds will have the best chance to produce an awesome harvest. (Hands out a couple of hoes and a shovel.) Here you are! Enjoy! (Starts to leave.)

Brian: Hey! Wait a minute. That sounds like hard work.

Counselor: It is hard work, but if you tried to plant seeds in this hard stuff like it is right now, they wouldn’t grow at all. You have to have to break it up so those tender little plants can grow and flourish.

Jenna: You’re kidding, right? I just had my nails done.

Riley: (Admiring Jenna’s nails.) Oooh. That looks like the Rainforest Special from Super Nails at the mall.

Jenna: Yeah. See those little monkeys and tree leaves. The girl who does my nails is a true artist. (Sighs at the memory of having her nails done.)

Riley: I’ve got to get to the mall and see if she can help me out.

Counselor: (Getting their attention.) Yoo hoo! Campers! It’s time to prepare the soil. Tally ho! I’ll be back later to check on how you’re doing.

Riley: You’re leaving us here to do this alone?

Counselor: Of course! I trust you to get the job done. I have to get the next group of campers to brief them on their own sowing adventure. See you later. (Exits)

Brian: I can’t believe I’m going to be hoeing a garden. I thought I’d be swimming and canoeing at camp.

Jenna: Swimming and conoeing sounds wonderful!

Brian: Hey! Let’s just leave and go swimming. It probably doesn’t really matter if we do this hoeing anyway. Those seeds are strong enough to get through this soil.

Riley: I don’t know if that’s a good idea...

Jenna: It’s a great idea. Last one in the lake is a rotten egg!

(The three rush off stage.)

Teacher: What do you think will happen when the counselor gets back? I think she’ll find that the soil hasn’t been prepared for the seed. It’s very important to prepare the soil before we plant our seed in God’s kingdom. We do that by learning what God’s Word says about our seed and believing it. Did you bring seed to sow in God’s kingdom today? Good! Hold onto your offering for now. We’re going to see the end of our story and then we’ll get to give to God.

Counselor enters, finds the work not finished. She sighs and sits down to wait. Just a few seconds later, the kids enter.

Brian: You guys just need to stop laughing at me.

Riley: (Can’t stop herself) I’ll bet you’re the biggest fish that guy ever caught.

Brian: Look, just because I didn’t know that side of the lake wasn’t for swimmers is no reason to laugh.

Jenna: I thought it was pretty funny.

Riley: And you have to admit it was very nice of him to save you from the quicksand too.

Brian: I didn’t know that there were places near the lake that we had to watch out for. I guess it wasn’t a good idea to head over there without the lifeguard—

Counselor: Ahem!

(Kids are startled.)

Brian: Uh oh.

Jenna: Oh, hi, Counselor Higgenbottom.

Riley: It was his fault. (Pointing at Brian)

Brian: Hey!

Counselor: I overheard your conversation. It sounds like things didn’t go so well for you today.

Brian: It was awful. I got caught on someone’s fishing line and it ruined my swim suit. Then I fell into quicksand trying to get out of the lake and the same guy had to save me from that too.

Counselor: Which is why we don’t let kids over on that end of the lake and only have swimming when there’s a lifeguard on duty. And then there’s this little matter of your garden. You still need to prepare the soil.

Jenna: What? We didn’t get out of it?

Counselor: Nope. Preparing the ground is so important that you can’t skip doing it. Don’t worry. The lake will still be there when you’re done so you can cool off. (Holding out the hoe.) Who wants to go first?

Riley: I will.

Counselor: When the harvest is ready, you won’t be sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment